10.22.2007

Radiohead - In Rainbows

I downloaded the new Radiohead last Tuesday night from their website. I'm so geeked about not only the record, which is awesome, but also how Radiohead has essentially told the recording industry to get lost. Of course, only mega bands like Radiohead can decide against advertising and the promotion provided with a record company, and sell their music widespread from their own website.

Pitchfork did a forum in which people revealed how much they chose to pay for "In Rainbows." By my guess, the average ranged from 3-7 pounds. If you must know, I paid one pound, which with the processing fee cost me in the end $2.98 (2.95 + .03).

The record is great. Very mellow and easy to listen to over and over (I haven't really turned it off in a week). In many respects, it sounds like the logical extension of "Kid A" and "Hail to the Thief." In fact, if someone was to tell me that "In Rainbows" was the B sides from those records I would believe them (though I'd be surprised that they are B sides because they're so good).

Funny story. I asked my students in class if anyone else has downloaded the record. They all looked at me like I had three heads. When I later asked my best friend whether the kids still listen to Radiohead he told me, "naw, it's old man music." When I asked my Lebanese friend the same question she said that Radiohead is too sophisticated for American students, whose ears' are strapped to Fergie and Justin Timberlake. Luckily, when I saw my students on Friday a couple perked up and said they had grabbed "In Rainbows." The world, again, makes sense ;)

No comments:

Music blogs Top Blogs Music Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory