9.16.2007

Interpol at the Tower 9/15/07

The lady and I zipped up to Philly last night to catch Interpol at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby. Despite putting out two recent records that I thought were a little lackluster, I've definitely been anxious to see them live. To be honest, I've haven't heard much of the most recent record. But I thought that "Antics" was full of forgettable songs, save for two that are quite amazing. Friends have said the same for their recent album as well.

The show rocked. They played with The Liars, who we missed. We walked into their second song and were treated to a long list of favorites for the night. They have a great stage presence. They look at each other and play next to one another like a band that actually likes one another. As always, they were dressed to the nines in black suits. While I've always dug Interpol's highly rhythmic sound, I was quite impressed with their drummer. On the records he provides a low key, yet powerful presence to the melodies and interesting lead guitar work. Live, he came through with hard hitting, straight ahead technique, but also little fills that I don't recall being on their recordings. Very tasty.

In all, a great live show. Maybe not worth a whoping $35, but I don't feel too cheated. You can definitely tell that Interpol has been playing for almost 10 years. The show was energetic and professional, but not overboard, rehearsed and fake.

Like the old farts that we are, we bounced before the encore...

No comments:

Music blogs Top Blogs Music Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory